Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Googling Song Titles

Google is a wonderful thing, is it not?

I have been transcribing music from cassette tapes to digital lately. I transcribed a tape of a Pete Seeger concert that I had the priviledge of mixing in 1981, and tonight I've been cutting into tracks a transcription of a recording of a WPKN (Boston) folk music broadcast from 1986.

The recording has the announcer's breaks, so years ago I was able to put the artist's names, song titles, and album names on the cassette box insert. Tonight I found out how far off I was on some of the names. There were little spelling differences - Waggoner instead of Wagonar, Rodden instead of Rawdon.

The funniest mistake, though, was the artist or band name that I had as "Give Me Spirits" for a song from The Original Tap Dancing Kid album. Hey, I just didn't know, and that's what it sounded like. Googling the album title got me the singer's name - Jimmie Spheeris. I NEVER would have guessed that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home