Thursday, November 02, 2006

Internet Explorer 7

Microsoft released IE 7 yesterday, which I downloaded and have been using. There are a few look and feel differences to get used to, and tabbed browsing.

The look and feel include smaller toolbars at the top, and improved favorites navigation - more like Windows Explorer, no longer drop down menus. Large Back and Forward buttons.

The tabs are problematic, though. I could not get them to work quite the way I expected. When I started a new instance of IE, it did not open a new tab, it opened a new window like the old days. That may be a good thing. You can open a new tab in the same window by right-click and select "open in new tab" or "open in new window" so that's ok.

The quick tour they give is worse than useless - it suggests opening a new tab and typing the address where you want to go. I can't remember the last time I typed an address. I usually click a link or, I suppose, cut and paste an address.

There is also a "phishing" filter to flag identified phishing web sites, which takes a hit on performance on the slower machines.

That's the word from the early adopter front.

Update: The tabs seem to work as one might like them to, and the screen fonts are easier on these aging eyes. I picked the option to smooth screen fonts, whatever they call it. Of course now if I wanted to go back and change it, I would have to hunt ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home