Monday, April 09, 2007

APRS

APRS (Automatic Position Reporting System) is a Ham Radio network of locator beacons, often tied to GPS receivers. A GPS receiver is connected to a ham radio that sends a digital signal on a particular frequency. The signal is picked up by other ham radio receivers as a reported position. Some of the receivers serve as gateways to servers on the internet.

The beacon may be fixed, it may be in a vehicle, or a back-pack. It may transmit data from an amateur weather station, or a government weather station.

I have been getting into this, and have a GPS receiver that I connect to a laptop computer connected to the internet. I have not yet got to connecting it to a radio, but I can "beacon" to the internet server.

UPDATED:
Look for me at home or in the car.

My call sign is KA2CQQ. I hope to have the mobile beacon active soon.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home