Monday, December 12, 2005

On Despair For My Country

What happens when the Shining City Upon a Hill falls into chaos?

On looking for a citation for "Shining City Upon a Hill" I first found Reagan. I am loath to attribute that man. Further searching led me to Matthew 5:14:
You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden.
Not quite what I was looking for. I finally found John Winthrop, governor of Massachusetts Bay Colony, who expresses my worries perfectly:
For we must consider that we shall be as a City upon a hill. The eyes of all people are upon us. Soe that if we shall deal falsely with our God in this work we have undertaken, and so cause him to withdraw his present help from us, we shall be made a story and a byword throughout the world.
The eyes of all people are upon us.

Our nation has for decades been the guiding light of the world. Flawed we may be, but for the most part we were the country other countries "aspired to be."

That has changed with the One Party Rule we are experiencing now. Their crimes against our polity and the world are legion. My point is not to enumerate them, but to suggest that as some have suggested, the United States may indeed "be over" because of them. And that is a crime against humanity and against hope.

Cross posted at Daily Kos. Go take my poll!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home