Sunday, July 16, 2006

This time it WAS a hummingbird!

No pictures, but I saw a hummingbird in Michele's garden today, around 7:30. It was a sort of blue-gray, about 3-1/2 to 4" long, and seemed to like the Dragon's Tongue flowers the best. I watched it for a few minutes. I crouched in the center of the yard, and once it flew over my head to perch in a bush behind me, then flew back to the Dragon's Tongue. By the time I snuck away and back with the camera it was gone.

I also watched a bee on the butterfly bush, which has flowerets smaller than the bee itself. The bee's proboscis seemed just the right length for it. It's as if you or I put our nose in a trumpet. Why we would want to do that I could not guess, but that's about the size relationship of the flower and the bee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home